Arlington Dog and Cat Hospital

857 Passaic Avenue
Kearny, NJ 07032



Important Message from APHIS: 

 In order to meet the import requirements, microchip implantation must occur PRIOR to rabies vaccination, i.e. any rabies vaccination that occurs prior to microchip implantation is not considered valid according to the European Commission.

This means that all dogs and cats traveling to countries in the European Union must have a microchip implanted and then be vaccinated for rabies.  This can occur on the same day.  Placing the microchip first ensures that the dog vaccinated is the same dog as is being exported.   

Only rabies vaccinations given after the microchip is placed can be listed on EU health certificates.  Dogs and cats cannot be exported to the EU until 21 days after their primary (post microchipping) rabies vaccination

Members of the EU are:

The Member States of the European Union are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

If you plan on traveling to any of these countries, please contact our office with ample time to meet these requirements.

How to Obtain an International Health Certificate

Pets like to travel, too!  It's always a privilege to be able to travel with your fluffy companion, anywhere you go! These days, travel is a piece of cake; however, it may not be as simple as merely purchasing a ticket for your little friend to come on board.

All the steps involved in traveling out of the US with your pet are solely dependant on:
1) the country you are traveling to
2) your airline company.
They make the rules, we follow them. When making all your travel plans, it's an excellent idea to obtain all the information you need so you can take your friend with you, and have plenty of time to get everything together. . .

Useful Pet Travel Links:


Pets_On_The_Go  The Internet's most complete source of information for traveling with your pet anywhere in the world by car, train or air.

Here are some general guidelines to consider during your planning process!
(be sure to pay close attention to the 's)

*Please call your consulate for the country you're visiting to obtain the most recent detailed requirements for that particular country.
*Also, please call the airline and inform yourself of their requirements. Not all airlines follow the same protocol.  Be sure to to find out if the pet can travel in the cabin with you and if so, whether any special carrier, etc. is needed for your pet to travel safely and comfortably.

*Once your pet has been examined by the doctor and found to be fit for travel, the doctor will sign and issue an International Health Certificate to you, along with other required paperwork for that particular country.
*A doctor or techinician will review with you the sections of the certificate for you to fill out, and you're ready to go!

*Please be aware an International Health Certificate is only valid for 10 days. Please consider this when scheduling an appointment with our office for your pet's travel check-up, for 10 days within the date of departure.  But!, there are some countries that may require the validity of the certificate to be within less time before the date of travel, so it's always worth checking your country's requirements.

What do I do with all this paperwork?!

*The paperwork must be reviewed by your country's consulate.
Look up your country here! 
All European countries now require endorsement of the certificate by the USDA, United States Department of Agriculture, as well.***** 
If you're on that list, here's what you do:

1) Signed certificates may be personally hand delivered to the USDA office, located in Robbinsville, NJ.
Note: an appointment may be required. Please call first to be sure the USDA veterinarian is in the office that day.  Tel: 609-259-8387
2) Certificates may also be handled by overnight delivery service.  Be sure all materials are included as well as a self-addressed, overnight, stamped mailer for the certificate to be returned to you.  This process takes
2-3 business days. 

*There is an additional fee per pet along with the certificate for USDA endorsement.  The payment may be by personal check or money order, made out to "APHIS".  If you are leaving the country before the check can clear, payment must be in the form of a money order.

Here's a tip, call the USDA office before doing anything so you're ahead of the game and current with all information.

*A copy of the Rabies certificate will be included with your health certificate being mailed to APHIS.  If the Rabies vaccine was not given at Arlington Dog and Cat Hospital, then you must obtain the certificate from the original veterinarian or we must administer a new vaccine.  
Beware: Each country has different requirements for when the Rabies must be given prior to departure, please refer to "country requirements."

APHIS, Veterinary Service
Mercer Corporate Park
320 Corporate Blvd.
Robbinsville, NJ 08691-1598
Tel: 609-259-8387
For more information and directions, please visit
Domestic Travel Requirements:
*A certificate of health is required for your pet to travel.
*Proof of most recent and up to date Rabies vaccination. 
NOTE: Each state's regulations differ. Please refer to this website for state regulations: 
APHIS_State_Regulations *Please check with your airline for any other travel requirements.

For more information on Pet travel, you can also refer to our VIN Pet_Library. Just look under the Pet Corner tab!

As always, if you're not sure about something or have any questions, give us a call!  Have a safe trip!!